[lug] Multiple XDM/KDM/GDM?

Ryan Kirkpatrick linux at rkirkpat.net
Sun Aug 22 08:15:36 MDT 2010

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 stimits at comcast.net wrote:

> Has anyone here ever set up to run multiple simultaneous xdm/kdm/gdm
> setups (e.g., access with alt-F7, and alt-F8 consoles), where one is
> to serve locally, and the other is pointed to a remote host?

I have a number of old HP Vectras setup as Xterminals for my server. On
the Vectras I put the following in /etc/inittab to start up a remote
session:

xt2:2345:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/XFree86.sh

Then the shell script contains:

#!/bin/bash

# Start up using Magellan as display server.
/usr/bin/X11/X :0.0 -xf86config /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 -query magellan vt7 >>/var/log/XFree86.log 2>&1

The important bit is the 'vt7' to select which virtual terminal to run X
on, as well as 'magellan' which is the name of my server. Then on the
server I simply setup XDM to allow access from the local network (see
/etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess). I imagine GDM/KDM have something similar.

Note, this is for a rather old setup (Debian 3.0), but should get you
started. There is probably an easier way to do it now. :)

| "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." --- Phil. 1:21 (KJV) |