[lug] Black bar between pages when printing 2 pages/sheet.

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Wed Aug 25 09:00:33 MDT 2010

On 08/25/10 08:14, Bruce Long wrote:
> I have a shiny new HP 2320fxi color laser printer which I would like to use
> to print booklets of source code.

Is this a postscript native printer? Printer postscript and ghostscript-based
previews could look different.

> The problem is that when I print any file (e.g., ps or pdf) with two pages
> per sheet I get a thick black bar separating the two pages.
>
> Strangely, this occurs no matter how I try to get two pages/sheet. For
> example, if I rely on CUPS by using "-o number-up=2" I get the black bar.
> But if I use psnup to create a ps file that is already formated to have two
> pages/sheet I still have the black bar when I print. Interestingly, the
> black bar does NOT show up in print preview or in the evince document
> viewer.

Have you tried generating pdfs instead of postscript? Also use a different
viewer. I would trust the accuracy of a pdf preview more than of a ps preview.
Then print a test page from the pdf viewer. If pdfs preview and print
correctly I would suspect pnsup and/or ghostscript. If the printer doesn't
do native postscript, cups is likely using ghostscript to convert your
ps files.

You might also check for newer versions of psnup, cups and ghostscript.