[lug] Black bar between pages when printing 2 pages/sheet.

Bruce Long qstream at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 11:12:48 MDT 2010

I have tried pdfs, postscripts, with AND WITHOUT psnup. PDFs and postscripts
all preview correctly. And they printed correctly on my old printer. (Anyone
want a trusty old HP1100 laser printer BTW? Works great but requires
something called a "parallel interface" ;) )

How would I know if the problem was with ghostscript?

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Lee Woodworth <blug-mail at duboulder.com>wrote:

> On 08/25/10 08:14, Bruce Long wrote:
> > I have a shiny new HP 2320fxi color laser printer which I would like to
> use
> > to print booklets of source code.
>
> Is this a postscript native printer? Printer postscript and
> ghostscript-based
> previews could look different.
>

> > The problem is that when I print any file (e.g., ps or pdf) with two
> pages
> > per sheet I get a thick black bar separating the two pages.
> >
> > Strangely, this occurs no matter how I try to get two pages/sheet. For
> > example, if I rely on CUPS by using "-o number-up=2" I get the black bar.
> > But if I use psnup to create a ps file that is already formated to have
> two
> > pages/sheet I still have the black bar when I print. Interestingly, the
> > black bar does NOT show up in print preview or in the evince document
> > viewer.
>
> Have you tried generating pdfs instead of postscript? Also use a different
> viewer. I would trust the accuracy of a pdf preview more than of a ps
> preview.
> Then print a test page from the pdf viewer. If pdfs preview and print
> correctly I would suspect pnsup and/or ghostscript. If the printer doesn't
> do native postscript, cups is likely using ghostscript to convert your
> ps files.
>
> You might also check for newer versions of psnup, cups and ghostscript.

Give me immortality or give me death!