[lug] NTP server question

John Dollison johndollison at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 6 14:41:54 MDT 2010

I was checking the settings on my old Motorola WR850G router when I noticed that all the log messages were dated 1970.  One of the basic settings for this router is "Internet Time Server Addresses," and shows these two addresses:
216.211.136.180
207.104.100.201

The manual says, "These servers are sponsored by Motorola; it is not recommended to change these settings."

Yeah, right... so I did a Google search on NTP servers, and got a little wrapped around the axle with Stratum 1 and 2 servers, getting permission to connect, etc.  I have a Comcast broadband connection; don't they host time servers that I can connect to without getting anyone's permission?

Thanks,
--
John Dollison
Westminster, CO 80021