[lug] NTP server question

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Sep 6 18:15:09 MDT 2010

John Dollison wrote:
> Yeah, right... so I did a Google search on NTP servers, and got a little wrapped around the axle
> with Stratum 1 and 2 servers, getting permission to connect, etc.  I have a Comcast broadband
> connection; don't they host time servers that I can connect to without getting anyone's
> permission?

I don't see anything on Google that tells me what Comcast's time servers are.  You should look at
their support stuff and see if you can find them.  Or call and ask.

If they don't provide time servers then use pool.ntp.org.  You might poke around and see if you can
find a server you like from the pool and then use it.

Why?  Because probably your router has only two slots to put in time servers and two is the wrong
number.  See http://twiki.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/SelectingOffsiteNTPServers#Section_5.3.3. .

You might want to watch the traffic from your modem and make sure it's behaving like a
well-configured ntp client (it should eventually only poll every 1024s, for example).

Or, you can configure a machine to get time from pool.ntp.org, use at least 4 time servers, and be
well behaved.  Then point your router at it.

Dave