[lug] New! Improved! Select-o-Magic 3000 v1.1.0 Now with BPM and Mood Criteria

Lori Reed lorireed at lightning-rose.com
Tue Sep 7 21:19:25 MDT 2010

2010-09-07

Release notes for Select-o-Magic 3000 v1.1.0

Source and executables are now available for download:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/som3000/files/

The SoM-3000 main page is at:

http://som3000.sourceforge.net/

*) New Features

ID3v2 tags "BPM" (Beats Per Minute) and "Mood" have been added as
selectable criteria. "Mood" is poorly supported by most MP3 tag file
editors and is considered alpha, because I have no files tagged as such
to test with. BPM is also poorly supported, but I have found one free
(as in beer) software tool that can automatically detect BPM and update
the tag info. Sadly, it's a windoze program, but runs fine under
virtualized XP, and reportedly also runs under Wine.

http://www.pistonsoft.com/bpm-detector.html

The criteria is now fully configurable allowing the user to select which
criteria and in what sequence they are used.

"Make Playlist" now remembers the last number of files saved, the folder
where the playlist was saved, and the playlist file name.

I tried to do the same thing for the "Scan Audio Files" folder
selection, but the GTK folder selection dialog for v2.18.3 is broken.

*) Code Changes

There were many global variables and arrays making things a bit muddled.
  These have been reduced to a couple of data structs and a few
inconsequential variables and const arrays.

I've also re-organized and broken the source code up into many smaller
files. Each GTK button pretty much has it's callback function in it's
own source file. The callback function source files all start with "cb"
(ie: "cbabout.c")

The main web page will be updated in a couple of days.

As always, feedback is appreciated.

Lori