[lug] Linux Starter Guide

Chris McDermott csmcdermott at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 16:42:37 MDT 2010

Actually I wouldn't recommend Ubuntu for learning Linux, it does too many
things its own way.  I believe if you want to learn Ubuntu, use Ubuntu.  If
you want to learn Red Hat, use Red Hat.  But if you really want to learn
Linux inside and out, I vote for Slackware.  I'm running it on my Thinkpad
with Fluxbox for a window manager, and it's a truly beautiful thing.  As for
resources, here are my favorites:

Unix and Linux Administration Handbook (paid) - http://www.admin.com
RUTE User's Guide and Tutorial (free) -
http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz