[lug] Linux Troubleshooting Guide

Bruce Long qstream at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 21:15:14 MDT 2010

If I wanted to improve my troubleshooting skill I would begin by memorizing
(or listing) all the paths information or energy can flow. I would carefully
imagine the entire pathway and think of each place that a problem might
occur. Then I would imagine what problems would be the symptoms of each
blockage. That would be good practice. When a symptom occurred I would go
over the pathways that could cause that system and look at each potential
blockage.

Given that, I think that a book that goes over how the OS works in great
detail would be great for troubleshooting. How does the kernel work? How
does networking work? Instead of a book that listed them for you, I think it
would be better to chart (by yourself) the paths that can lead from a
document on a disk to patterns of ink on paper. In other words, use the
technical books to make a list of all the information and energy paths and
everything that could block them or open them and what the symptoms of each
blockage would be. If possible, picture moving along those streams yourself.

Practice by offering to help people or by going to a support forum and
helping people.

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 8:11 PM, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us>wrote:

> Jose Luis Salas wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Does somebody knows about a good Liunx Troubleshooting Guide
> > so I can use it to be prepared for a Linux support interview?
>
> I'll ask a broader question: does anyone know a good way to teach
> troubleshooting skills?  I know
> the Navy does some of that but I never went to any of those schools.
>
> I seem to be able to troubleshoot fairly well, but that's usually due to in
> depth system knowledge,
> a broad background in other systems, and the ability to think logically and
> sequentially.  I have no
> idea how to teach any of that.
>
> A textbook would be a good start.
>
> Thanks!