[lug] Setting up NTFS partition on Dual boot Microsoft/Linux machine

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Wed Sep 15 00:41:03 MDT 2010

On 09/14/10 16:17, Gordon Golding wrote:

>  I'm going to set up a laptop for dual boot.
>
> In the past, I always just used FAT32 as a "sharing/communications area" between the 2 boots.
>
> Question:
> Just how good/stable is the NTFS for Linux?
>
> It's been a little while since I looked into it, but before it seemed that reading NTFS with Linux was fine, but that writing NTFS still had some sticky bits with permissions, etc.

Its been stable for me but I don't exercise it a lot. I use the ntfsprogs package instead
of the in kernel file system. You may want the file system tools from the package if you
do any repartitioning. The laptop recovery disks generated for my laptop don't have a way
to change partitioning so I needed to do it from the linux side.