[lug] Linux Troubleshooting Guide

Stephen Queen svqueen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 14:46:27 MDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 6:23 PM, Jose Luis Salas <joseluis.salas09 at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Does somebody knows about a good Liunx Troubleshooting Guide
> so I can use it to be prepared for a Linux support interview?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> --
> Jose Luis Salas
>
> E-mail: joseluis.salas09 at gmail.com

This may or may not help in an interview, but in real troubleshooting, the
very first step should be to do a complete operational test. In other words,
look for all the symptoms before doing anything else. So many times I have
wasted hours troubleshooting based on the very first symptom I saw, then did
a complete op check, and the second symptom made the problem obvious. It is
almost always a mistake to rely on someone else's description of the
symptoms. Observe them yourself.

The second step, is almost as easy, just do a thorough visual of things to
see if you spot something obvious.

After this follow your logic etc as already discussed.

Steve