[lug] virtualization first boot question

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Sep 20 23:37:02 MDT 2010

So not having had to build any virtualized systems in a while...

Are any of them capable these days of taking a *working* regular system running a single OS natively on arbitrary hardware, and make an image out of that, dump the image onto another box, and fire it up cleanly (assuming the OS can handle the "hardware" changes itself at the next boot)?

Have two machines running different versions of Winderz here that *rarely* get used anymore, and would love to just turn them into virtuals on some other faster/more useful box...

Linux box is of course, fine... Or something like ESXi... Bonus points if I could dump the image onto an external drive and boot it in Parallels on a Mac, after say converting formats a couple of times.

 (Maybe VMWare to Parallels or something like that.  I guess I could buy VMWare Fusion also... Well, anyway... Just dreaming of dumping some hardware here...)

--
Nate Duehr
Sent from my iPhone