[lug] Linux compatible GPS?

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Wed Sep 22 23:15:37 MDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 07:36 -0600, Elyse M. Grasso wrote:
> I like my TomTom, but not the fact that is needs to be connected to a PC or
> Mac once a week.
>
> I'm going to Europe for a couple of weeks next month and will only have access
> to my Linux netbook.
>
> Can anyone recommend a GPS that isn't dependent on non-linux PCs? (Good
> support for walking tours would be a plus. My TomTom is more automobile
> oriented.)

Why is your Tom Tom requiring you connect to a PC?

I have a 340 XLS, I love it, and all I do is feed it power on a regular
basis.

It runs Linux inside and you can download and add your own point of
interest files simply by dragging and dropping them onto the Tom Tom's
FAT filesystem with a USB cable.

Again, love it.

--
Maxwell Spangler
        Linux System Administration / Computing Services