[lug] virtualization first boot question

Chris Riddoch riddochc at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 11:39:57 MDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 11:37 PM, Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com> wrote:
> So not having had to build any virtualized systems in a while...
>
> Are any of them capable these days of taking a *working* regular system running a single OS natively on arbitrary hardware, and make an image out of that, dump the image onto another box, and fire it up cleanly (assuming the OS can handle the "hardware" changes itself at the next boot)?
>
> Have two machines running different versions of Winderz here that *rarely* get used anymore, and would love to just turn them into virtuals on some other faster/more useful box...

Good luck with that... I've had my Windows VM think the hardware's
changed at minor version changes of VirtualBox.  I recently figured
out that some of the things in the xpti.dat correspond to identifying
characteristics of the "hardware" and was able to use that fact to
move a virtual machine between different systems running the same
version of VirtualBox, but it's a very touchy thing in my experience.

--
Chris Riddoch