[lug] IP on computer, not modem

Alfred G. de Wijn dwijn at iluvatar.org
Mon Oct 4 23:02:44 MDT 2010

Hi,

I'm currently enjoying broadband internet access through a Qwest stand-alone DSL, and a 3rd party ISP (FRII) that provides me with a static IP.  This setup allows me to put my Cisco 678 DSL modem into RFC1483 bridging mode, which basically has the effect that I end up with a globally routable IP on my computer, rather than on my modem.  It also costs a bunch of cash every month.

I've recently moved a lot of services to a VPS, so I no longer need a static IP at home.  I like my ISP, but I like beer better so I'm trying to trim the 3rd party ISP plus static IP from my bill.  The only thing is that I would very much like to keep the globally routable IP on the computer.  I've googled around, some people claim it's impossible with Qwest, others claim it's possible but only with PPPoE and not PPPoA, yet others say one must have a static IP to do it.  It's hard to find information that appears reliable.  From what I did find, I concluded it's possible to have some sort of bridging setup with PPPoE (but I can't confirm if it's RFC1483 or something else), and some sort of "half bridging" (couldn't find much details on that) with PPPoA.  In a moment of utter despair, I called Qwest tech support, but alas the poor guy I talked to had no clue what I was on about.

Does anyone have a setup similar to my own but without the static IP and 3rd party ISP on a Qwest DSL line?

Cheers,
Alfred
--
Alfred G. de Wijn (dwijn at iluvatar.org)