[lug] IP on computer, not modem

Chris Riddoch riddochc at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 09:47:19 MDT 2010

I have a very similar setup with a Cisco 678 and Qwest DSL, and it's
bridging so my external IP address is on an ethernet device on a linux
box... all the same, but without the static IP.  I have a really lousy
SNR on my line, as I'm pretty far away from the CO in terms of
wire-distance.  This results in a lot of retraining and being given
different IP addresses with distressing frequency.  I really haven't
gotten around to setting up dynamic DNS...

I've been wary of changing ISPs for a variety of reasons, but some of
those reasons may be obsolete, so it's worth checking again.  Please
correct me if I'm wrong:

Last I knew, Comcast charged more for internet access than for
internet access + TV.  Short version: I don't *want* TV.  I don't miss
TV when I don't have it, but if it's around, I find myself wasting a
lot of time in front of it... and Netflix does a good job of
"rate-limiting" my couch-time because of the turn-around time of the
mail.

Qwest, I don't have any special love for, but there's one fact about
them that sticks in my mind: remember the warrantless wiretapping
issue?  From more than one source, I read that there was exactly *one*
major telecom that didn't just go along with it without question, and
that was Qwest.  If the most affordable option involves giving
financial support to organizations actively working against what I
value (e.g. Walmart and the treatment of their employees), then I need
to decide exactly how much my principles are worth.  Sometimes I think
purchasing power may be the strongest power we wield to actually
influence policy.  Digressions aside, I believe Qwest and Comcast do
still hold a monopoly on the different wires that go to my house, and
I'm not really excited about giving money to either of them.

All that said, I'm currently paying $50/month for rather slow,
unreliable DSL, which just isn't really worth it, but it's not *so*
expensive that I'm highly motivated to change it.

So, what *are* the options, and has anything really changed lately?

--
Chris Riddoch