[lug] IP on computer, not modem

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sat Oct 9 00:53:19 MDT 2010

On Oct 6, 2010, at 9:47 AM, Chris Riddoch wrote:

> Qwest, I don't have any special love for, but there's one fact about
> them that sticks in my mind: remember the warrantless wiretapping
> issue?  From more than one source, I read that there was exactly *one*
> major telecom that didn't just go along with it without question, and
> that was Qwest.

Multiple thoughts on this:
- They didn't have the staff nor capital to comply.  Not sure it was because they had (much) of a conscience.
- My customers a few years ago were paranoid about any possibility of letting boxes on their networks that would mix the telco VoIP backbone and the other ancillary networks at the carrier level.  Now we see constant requests for quotes that include mandatory clauses in them to make sure hardware makes tapping as easy as possible for CALEA.

Thesis: The downturn in the economy and the upturn in warranted wiretaps has pushed all companies to where Qwest was... "We don't have time or money for wiretaps, but we have to do them.  Let's make sure it's ultra-easy for the law-enforcement folks to have access to our traffic so we don't have to pay for it."

If my theory holds, that battle is lost.  Even though CALEA's *intent* is to help law-enforcement with proper warrant-based taps, making all the gear EASY to tap, is just bad in so many ways...

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com