[lug] drive free space "wiper" recommendation

Robert Racansky robert.racansky at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 17:28:50 MDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 5:19 PM, karl horlen <horlenkarl at yahoo.com> wrote:
> i need to ship a computer back that's under warranty. i've already moved / deleted the files off of the drive that i deemed sensitive.  th
>
> can anybody recommend a good, free, non spyware based utility to help me "wipe" the free space left by my previous deletes and moves?  dban looks like an *entire* drive wipe utility.  i don't want to permanently delete the entire drive, just the unused space.
>
> fyi, this is a win xp based system.
>
> thanks

Eraser

http://eraser.heidi.ie/

Eraser is an advanced security tool for Windows which allows you to
completely remove sensitive data from your hard drive by overwriting
it several times with carefully selected patterns. Eraser is currently
supported under Windows XP (with Service Pack 3), Windows Server 2003
(with Service Pack 2), Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7
and Windows Server 2008 R2.

Eraser is Free software and its source code is released under GNU
General Public License.