[lug] drive free space "wiper" recommendation

Paul E Condon pecondon at mesanetworks.net
Sun Oct 10 11:52:42 MDT 2010

On 20101009_235617, Sean Brady wrote:
> As a former pc tech, you need to do the best wipe that you can on the entire drive.
>
> Remember there are hashes stored in different places, and index data combined with predictive heuristic algorithms can recover data you didn't know was sensitive.  Wipe the entire drive with the best gnu tools you can find. A completely wiped drive normally will not void a warranty that is honored on hardware failure.

I'm looking to learn something from reading this list. In this case,
this looks to be sound advice, but ... How can a computer geek who
posts a question like this judge which is the better/best tool? Claims
made at the web site where the tool is offered for download cannot be
simply trusted, IMHO. How does one test a disk wipe to verify that it
has worked correctly?

The recent flurry of reports about stuxnet make me wonder what
fraction of the offerings are actually trojan horses, which try to
report to their masters who has data that they are sufficiently
concerned about that they want to wipe the disk clean?

It seems to me that in the limited situation where there is no reason
to preserve any data on the HD, then dd would do a pretty fair job, or
maybe two passes of dd with ones and zeros. What more could a 'better'
tool offer? (This sounds like a rhetorical question, but I really am
just asking. Security issues puzzle me because there is always the
possibility yet another level of deception.)

Any thoughts? And appologies to Karl for what might seem to be hijacking
his thread. I really intend a somewhat deeper consideration of his
question.