[lug] drive free space "wiper" recommendation

Glenn Murray glenn.murray at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 11:49:20 MDT 2010

This seems overly cautious to me.

1.  I don't know how much "Academic" papers really affect the people
writing drive erasure software.

2.  It's not clear to me what a "large number" means here.

3.  I have a hard time believing that the "Government" really cares
about what's on my hard drive.

4.  Needlessly destroying hardware doesn't sit well with my green sensibilities.

If there is data on my hard drive worth tens of thousands of dollars I
wish someone would point it out to me.

Cheers,
Glenn