[lug] Reasons to wipe drive (was Re: drive free space "wiper" recommendation)

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Oct 12 16:36:07 MDT 2010

  On 10/12/2010 3:47 PM, Davide Del Vento wrote:
> I think this should work differently: the checks have a signature, and
> the bank has your signature - they shouldn't cash it if they don't
> match (yes, an attacher might fake your signature, but that will be
> harder than just lurking a couple of numbers).

Signatures are way too easy to fake.  Biometrics is supposedly the
answer, but it brings up all sorts of other data security problems...

My bank does have one of my fingerprints on file. I've never had to use
it anywhere other than to open an account.

What was the point...?  I don't know.

Who can supoena my fingerprint from them...?  I don't know.

How well do they guard the DB with my fingerprint in it...?  I don't know.

And other... I don't know's... all add up to...

Broken.  Epic Fail.  Whatever you want to call it...

By the way, I'd put my fingerprint in their database as a higher
security risk than wiping  my hard drives ... I trust my bank a lot less
than I trust me.  :-)

Nate