[lug] Richard WM Jones: 32 or 64 bit virtual CPU in KVM

Maxwell Spangler maxlists at maxwellspangler.com
Tue Oct 12 23:04:59 MDT 2010

Richard WM Jones work on virtualization projects for Redhat including
libguestfs.  This blog post caught my eye today...

"So the common question I am asked is: When installing a 32 bit guest,
should I choose an i686 or x86-64 (32 or 64 bit) architecture?

The answer seems obvious. You should select i686 for your 32 bit guest.

Actually, no, this isn’t right. x86-64 is the default, and if you try it
out you’ll see that 32 bit guests work just fine."

http://rwmj.wordpress.com/2010/10/08/32-or-64-bit-virtual-cpu-in-kvm/

--
Maxwell Spangler
        Linux System Administration / Computing Services