[lug] Yubikey

Vince Dean vincedean at frii.com
Wed Oct 13 12:55:12 MDT 2010

 On 10/13/2010 11:38 AM, Nate Duehr wrote:
>   On 10/13/2010 8:34 AM, Davide Del Vento wrote:
>>> Anybody care to comment on this?  Some fedora projects are adding
>>> support for it.
>>>
>>> http://yubico.com/products/yubikey/
> I have a number of customers who require the "large car key" variety and
> one that has the "calculator" variety.  They all seem to work fine.
> They don't plug into the machine, you just read the rotating numbers on
> the screen.
I have used both a calculator style device, where I typed in a PIN and
got back the next key, and the Yubikey.  I find the Yubikey vastly more
convenient.  Of course that depends on your situation.  If you only have
to authenticate one or two times a day, it does not matter much.  But if
you are logging into many different machines during the day, or using
sudo a lot, the Yubikey will save quite a bit of time and aggravation.

I leave my Yubikey plugged into a USB cable on my desk--attached to my
car keys so I will take them home. To authenticate, I simply type my PIN
on the computer keyboard and then, instead of pressing the Enter key, I
push the button on the Yubikey.  Done.

Compare that to picking up a credit-card style device, entering my PIN
on the awkward little keypad, reading the one-time password, and typing
it in with my free hand. It works, but it is not convenient.

Vince