[lug] Openid [was Re: Yubikey]

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sat Oct 16 13:34:13 MDT 2010

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 17:51:52 -0600
"David L. Anselmi" <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:

> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > Yeah. The new yubikeys can do two keys... (short press ->  1st key,
> > long press ->  2nd key), but thats not very scalable. ;)
> >
> > I think the thought is that you can use openid from one provider on
> > others.
>
> Hmm.  I looked at that once.  I don't have an accidental openid yet.
> I haven't dug up a description of how it works yet--can I run my
> openid on my own webserver?  I think so.  If I could, why would I
> bother using one from Google et. al?

You can, but it's a massive pain to setup from what I understand. ;)

Also, openid basically lets you authenticate to your openid provider
and then the thing using openid knows you are "foo from bar".
If 'bar' is 'google openid services' it may be seen as more
trustworthy/normal than 'foos personal website no one has heard of'.

ie:

"Love the site" - foo at google

"Love the site" -
foo at just-registered-personal-openid-site-could-be-spammer

So, it comes down to the same sort of thing as email/web/etc. You can
run your own server, but you will have to deal with the admin overhead
and trust issues.

kevin