[lug] Openid [was Re: Yubikey]

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 10:34:34 MDT 2010

Another point, IMHO even more important.

> Good.  I trust kevin at tummy.com much more than <random name>@google.

With email, @tummy.com could be could hosted on gmail.com and with the
proper setup and nobody would notice. Same thing with OpenID: I have
my www.javacorner.org/davide which is a 5 seconds setup: it uses
servers from  openID.com and I could switch to Google, Yahoo or
whoever I like/trust in 5 seconds  (in fact, it was yahoo before, but
then I changed my mind).

Point is: if google discontinues their OpenID, you are screwed up,
*more* than if they discontinue gmail. And they are *more* likely to
discontinue openID than gmail. If I have my own, even if it uses their
server, I'm always 5 seconds from the solution.

Of course I could have everything under my control, but that means
always stay on top of what's happening, monitoring, security updates,
etc etc. Just for my own account it doesn't worth my time (it could
worth yours, though).

HTH,
Dav