[lug] NVIDIA accelerated graphics

Steve A Hart shart at colorado.edu
Mon Oct 18 14:06:13 MDT 2010

Just curious if anyone has seen behavior like this.  I have multiple
RHEL 5 clients configured identically but with varying hardware.  Most
have various NVIDIA based graphics cards in them and for each I have the
latest NVIDIA driver installed and running.

What I'm seeing is that various systems suddenly have the accelerated
graphics turned off.  The systems did not reboot, but X may have
restarted overnight.  These also did not happen at the same time.  I'll
see one system with it not running, then the next day another system
will be the same way.  At most, I saw about 10 of my 50 RHEL clients
turn off the accelerated graphics with no apparent cause.

I basically have to go into single user and re-run the NVIDIA installer
to get the accelerated graphics back.

Not sure what the heck is happening but it appears to be happening more
frequently.  Just looking for ideas......

Thanks

Steve
--
Steve Hart