[lug] NVIDIA accelerated graphics

John Hernandez jph at jph.net
Mon Oct 18 16:35:36 MDT 2010

> On Monday 18 October 2010 02:06:13 pm Steve A Hart wrote:
>> What I'm seeing is that various systems suddenly have the accelerated
>> graphics turned off.  The systems did not reboot, but X may have
>> restarted overnight.  These also did not happen at the same time.  I'll
>> see one system with it not running, then the next day another system
>> will be the same way.  At most, I saw about 10 of my 50 RHEL clients
>> turn off the accelerated graphics with no apparent cause.

If you're not opposed to using a 3rd party software repository, you
could try something like the ATrpms nvidia-graphics package.  In
theory, this should play nicely with updates, but I have no first-hand
experience with it.  There are various how-to's floating about like
this one:
http://www.linwik.com/wiki/configuring+a+nvidia+graphics+chip+for+centos+and+rhel+5

-John