[lug] Reliable and Not to expensive ISP for Home

Paul E Condon pecondon at mesanetworks.net
Wed Oct 20 10:43:53 MDT 2010

On 20101018_140905, Jose Luis Salas wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I moved to a new home and I am trying to find if there
> are other option for ISP in addition to Qwest
> and Comcast that you might recommend me.
>
> Looking for a reliable and not to expense option.
>
> Thanks in advance and best regards!
>
> --
> Jose Luis Salas
>
> E-mail: joseluis.salas09 at gmail.com

Reliable is hard to say. There is always the possibility that a
company will go bankrupt, or drastically revise its business plan, or
a change of management. Quest and Comcast are both the result of
corporate takeovers of previously reasonable service providers.

Skybeam acquired my old ISP, mesanetworks some time ago. Mesanetworks
was, I thought, reliable. But suddenly they were gone. The transition
was pretty rough, but now Skybeam is working pretty well. Good enough
that I have absolutely no inclination to shop, particularly among the
big names. The service technology is Motorola Canopy. Only problem is
you may not be within range of one of their towers. I think most of
my problems with Skybeam early on were from them switching the location
of the tower that provided my service, and not bothering to come out
and re-point the antenna on my roof.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at mesanetworks.net