[lug] Troubleshooting grub2.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Oct 26 22:39:47 MDT 2010

Anyone know a way to troubleshoot why grub 2 can't see its config on an LVM volume?  I'm thinking at
boot time when I wind up at the grub> prompt, but maybe it has to be when running the install.

Details at http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=566735.

The obvious culprits (missing modules, bad config) don't seem to be the cause.

There are some differences in what gets put under /dev related to LVM, and grub isn't consistent
about them (it names drives dm-0 or vg0-root even though they are the same device).  And one system
is 64 bit, but the configs are essentially the same.

Thanks!
Dave