[lug] Recording presentations?

dio2002 at indra.com dio2002 at indra.com
Wed Nov 10 14:47:38 MST 2010

i could be wrong since i'm not a video guy but i think the audio is easier
than some think.

you can buy a good handheld digital recorder that can record mp3 or wav
from $100-$500 depending on how much you want to spend.  the key to good
audio is the mic.  some of these digital reorders have pretty good built
in condenser mics.  but the better models and even not so better models
these days have plug in power connections that let you buy external
condenser mics of your choice.  which means you can put the mic anywhere
you want and get great sound.  some of the external condensers are tiny
and can even be lapelled on.  you can get a good mic for $100.

the tradeoff when recording presentation audio is that if you optimize the
sound of the speaker, you do it at the expense of the crowd voice sound
and vice versa.  not much you can do about that unless you get more
sophisticated and spend more money which you probably don't need for what
you're doing.  i think it would be better to get a single mic close to the
speaker and then remind the speaker to repeat the audience question before
answering so that the question is made clear in the audio recording.

keep in mind the method described above requires a little extra editing.
essentially you record the audio separate from whatever gadget you use to
record video.  this means you must "marry them" back together within a
video editor that has a separate sound track. i haven't done that before
b/c as i said i'm not a video guy but i'd think it'd be pretty easy to
import the audio in this fashion and line up.  then if you want to slice
and dice you can do it within your video editing program.

b/c you have a separate audio stream, you can easily create a podcast from
it, marry it somehow with slides, etc.  which is to say having the audio
separately gives you a lot of creative options.

just my two cents.  i'm not sure if budget is an issue but you probably
can do what i said above for $100-$250 well.  google 'digital recorder' or
'digital voice recorder' and see what pops up.