[lug] Phone Recommendations

Gordon Golding gordongoldin at aim.com
Fri Nov 12 11:13:34 MST 2010

 Looking for phone recommendations.

I'm enough of a techie to want Open Source - maybe some day I would write a couple Apps for it - more for fun than need.
Not enough of a techie that "really cool features for if you are writing mobile apps for a living" is needed.

I've got fat fingers, so I'm sure I need the larger virtual keyboard.
I don't mind a larger heavier phone - maybe the larger the better - longer battery life?  better screen?

I'm more of a project guy, so I hope not to be living on this phone doing support (like my previous employers have tried to force), but things like light remote systems admin is good.

I live at the bottom of the ridge 1 block south of NIST - has anybody had experience with bad/good reception around there?
It's scary how many stories I've heard about people who got a phone - the company knew their address was in a dead zone but didn't tell them.

Am talking to some Google Apps people about maybe being able to do some work with them;
probably for my usage, the difference between Symbion and Android wouldn't matter, but don't want to shoot myself in the foot -
Want to hear thoughts and of other decision criteria that anyone might deem important.

Thanks,

Gordon Golding