[lug] anybody with non X-forwarding non-VNC remote graphical experience?

Tue Nov 16 15:23:51 MST 2010

> <davide.del.vento at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I just know some names: NX, SPICE, ICA...
> > I do X-forwarding daily and VNC occasionally (both on the "user"
> side,
> > tempted to say "client" but for X is "server" - I advice and push
> > sysadmin on behalf of users).
> > For the future, we are considering either using more VNC, or trying
> > something new, such as the ones mentioned above (or other).
>
> I use NX frequently.  It is a form of X forwarding, but much, much
> faster.  It can almost fool you into thinking you are local.  There
> is
> some configuration overhead compared to, say, VNC, but once it is set
> up it is great.
>
> It uses SSH for transport, so if your users need to be able to create
> ssh keys.
>
> Michael

Man, would I love an NX show and tell.
    Especially if it included the non-free version. (I use both free and non-free vmware products and I feel that comparing features of free and non-free when development is driven by a commercial company, is super important, if you want development to continue.)
    More especially if there were an expectation that folks would attend the show and tell with a Linux box, and there were a hands-on component of the presentation.

Man, would I love that.

David L. Willson
Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast
MCT MCSE Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 NovellCLA UbuntuCP
tel://720.333.LANS
Freeing the world from the tyranny (or whatevery) of Microsofty-ness