[lug] Patching metadata in audiofiles

Elyse M. Grasso emgrasso at data-raptors.com
Wed Nov 17 06:40:45 MST 2010

I've got a bunch of cds -- mostly purchased from very small sources like
directly from the performers -- that turn out to have missing or broken
metadata when I rip them and try play them with Rockbox on  my Sansa MP3
player or in Amarok.  (I used the built-in KDE functions to translate the wav
files to mp3s or ogg files.)

Can anyone recommend a preferred tool for patching audio file metadata? I don't
mind re-ripping the cds if it's best to start from the wav files == I'm just
beginning to rip my collection of world music, which seems to have most of the
problems. The filkers seem to mostly get it right.

Speaking of world music -- in the digitally  remastered versions of Kitaro's
Silk Road albums, the metadata on volume 2 is fine, but the file names and
presumably the metadata on volume 1 are showing in Japanese in Linux and not
showing at all in Rockbox, even though I patched the filenames. So I'll be
investigating the handling of UTF8 in Rockbox before I rip my koto and taiko
cds, but I'll want to be able to add English metadata to any that are only in
Japanese.

--
Elyse Grasso

http://www.data-raptors.com Computers and Technology