[lug] dd ssh pipe to bzip?

Jeff Schroeder jeff at zingstudios.com
Wed Nov 17 17:07:24 MST 2010

> The boxes I'm backing up are running on usb sticks.
> I want to keep the disk writes to a minimum.

Is it an urban myth that flash media will "wear out"?  I remember
hearing back in the day that USB sticks have limited write cycles, but
lately I've seen things that indicate those cycles are approximately
the same as the number of cycles you get on a hard drive platter.  In
other words, there's no longer any real difference between writes on
USB and HDD.

In addition, the number of writes is some huge number per cell and it's
unlikely you'd ever hit that unless you specifically had a program
constantly writing to exactly the same location on the drive...

Any insight?

Jeff