[lug] Windows Media Player and Virtualization

Lori Reed lorireed at lightning-rose.com
Thu Nov 18 16:53:28 MST 2010

On 11/18/2010 11:13 AM, Siegfried Heintze wrote:

> I was planning on making Ubuntu64 10.10 my virtualization host and
> windows 7 a guest. If I do that, can take multiple snap shots of my
> guests and play movies and music using windows media player?

Running virtualized Windows just for media seems like overkill.

One thing re VirtualBox, it will not pass through audio CDs to any
virtual machines.

> Is there a good linux substitute for windows media player for Linux?

There are many. Kaffeine and Totem are two that come pre-installed on
KDE and Gnome (Ubuntu), respectively.

My preferred video player is VLC.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

There are also many audio players. Amarok, RhythmBox, Gnome Mplayer,
Exaile, and Listen are a few that come to mind.

My current favorite is Audacious.

http://audacious-media-player.org/

And if you have many audio files (mp3, ogg, or flac) don't forget to
install Select-o-Magic 3000! :)

Lori