[lug] Garrett-Glaser: Patent skullduggery: Tandberg rips off x264 algorithm

davide davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 20:49:59 MST 2010

I'm sure most of you read LWN, but I think this is worth knowing for
everybody (and maybe asking a question at the next BLUG meeting).

Have a nice weekend,
Davide

Sent to you by davide via Google Reader: Garrett-Glaser: Patent
skullduggery: Tandberg rips off x264 algorithm via LWN.net by jake on
11/26/10
Jason Garrett-Glaser (aka Dark Shikari) writes about yet another misuse
of the patent system on his blog. "There's been a lot of very obnoxious
misuse of software patents in recent years. This ranges from patent
trolls wielding submarine patents to overly-generic patents being used
to scare everyone else out of a business. But at least in most of the
cases, the patents were an original idea of some sort, even if that
idea was far too general to be patented. [...] The situation just got
worse. We now have a company scraping open source commit logs and
patenting them." (Thanks to Martin [Jeppesen?])
Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to LWN.net using Google Reader
favorite sites