[lug] multi-monitor question - hw part

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 11:47:07 MST 2010

Thanks a lot for your message!

> I don't know what kind of Dell laptop/docking station you are using but
> I'm using the configuration you describe right now.

Yes, I didn't realize that there were different Dell docking station
standards. I think mine is the "old" one, the one with a large
connector (about 2 inches, the new one is about 1 inch).

> I have a Dell Latitude D630 laptop plugged into the docking station that
> came with it.

Mine is a D430, the docking station doesn't have a name.

I'm trying to find a coworker with the a compatible hw and running
windows (hard, these days :-), so I can separate hw from sw issues.

> There was another guy here that had seemingly identical hardware but the
> NVIDIA driver could not detect his monitors.  It always showed a generic
> monitor and "TV".

Mmmm, I thought that at least in 640x480 the driver should be
irrelevant, shouldn't it? Was him able to run "dual monitor" with
"generic and TV" at least? Just trying to understand if I'm hitting a
similar issue.

Thanks,
Dav