[lug] multi-monitor question - hw part

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 16:09:49 MST 2010

Ok, so I've found somebody with a very similar machine with windows
xp, and the dual display works just fine (besides being painfully
slow, my Ubuntu Hardy is much snappier :-)

Now, I ran

$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1680 x 1050, maximum 2048 x 2048
VGA connected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
   1600x1200      60.0 +   59.9
   1280x1024      75.0     59.9
   1152x864       74.8
   1024x768       75.1     60.0
   800x600        75.0     60.3
   640x480        75.0     60.0
   720x400        70.1
LVDS connected 1280x800+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
261mm x 163mm
   1280x800       60.0*+   60.0
   1280x768       60.0
   1024x768       60.0
   800x600        60.3
   640x480        59.9
TMDS-1 connected 1680x1050+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 473mm x 296mm
   1680x1050      60.0*+
   1280x1024      75.0     59.9
   1152x864       74.8
   1024x768       75.1     60.0
   800x600        75.0     60.3
   640x480        75.0     60.0
   720x400        70.1
TV disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

So the OS does see all monitors (LVDS is the laptop screen). I tried
the following:

$ xrandr --screen 1 --auto
Invalid screen number 1 (display has 1)
$ xrandr --screen 2 --auto
Invalid screen number 2 (display has 1)
$ xrandr --screen 0 --auto
xrandr: cannot find crtc for output VGA

This is with an intel video card. Ubuntu resolution app behaves oddly
(see something from the screenshot): screens are there but cannot be
moved around. Resolution can be changed, but clicking "apply" makes
just the only working (DVI) screen to flicker an nothing happens (even
if I change the resolution of that screen: it is stuck with the
current resolution). If I remove the other screen, this app works ok
(screens can be moved and resolution can be changed).

I have xserver-xorg-video-i740, xserver-xorg-video-i810 and
xserver-xorg-video-intel installed.

Not sure if I can test Ubuntu 10.04 live, since neither this docking
station (nor the laptop itself) has a CD/DVD drive (I have it on a
separate docking station in another room, which has not dual monitor
exits (if I remember right...)
But I might install it, instead, since it's almost that time....

Any other suggestions?
Thanks a lot
Dav