[lug] Protecting Media Computer

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 08:23:44 MST 2010

> Lately, I've had the problem of our 3 year old experimenting with mouse
> clicks and pop-up menus and I'm reminded of the three-year-old in the news a
> year or so back that clicked around on eBay and purchased a steam-roller
> from Australia while her parents slept.

I have two kids (2yo and 7mo) and 2 scripts. One (script, not kid)
blocks the CD/DVD eject button (first love of my older one), the other
completely block "usability": keyboard does not type, and mouse moves
(which I think is cool, so they can watch something happening) clicks
do not cause any effect (so no menus, etc). Have to type
ENTER+UnlockNow+ENTER to unlock (at least 3 other years before they
can do that :-).
I like to keep the scripts separate, since I barely use the CD/DVD, so
that's disabled even when I'm around. I like to call the scripts
clicking on a button on the top panel, but you can use a different
approach (e.g. cron, screensaver, etc).
I think both scripts are in perl. Let me know if you are interested, I
can send you them tonight.

HTH,
Davide