[lug] need help installing the NIST program dataplot

Steve Sullivan sullivan at mathcom.com
Sun Dec 19 15:21:37 MST 2010

Hi Paul,

Dunno if you want more general comments ... I'm sure you know
there are many sophisticated graphics packages, but along
the lines of dataplot you might take a look
at R, www.r-project.org/

It has become _the_ standard for much of the statistical analysis
community and offers an amazing variety of analyses and graphics.
The installation is easy since the packages already exist.
For debian, see
  http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian/

That said, it can be difficult for those of us used to more
standard languages like Java, C++, and Python, since R has some
peculiarities.  For example dot is part of identifiers, and a.b
is an identifier like a_b would be in Java.

Steve

Steve Sullivan      sullivan at mathcom.com
303-494-7179          cell: 720-587-7498
http://www.mathcom.com