[lug] TV-out on a NTSC CRT TV

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Tue Dec 28 00:07:42 MST 2010

On 12/27/10 20:15, Davide Del Vento wrote:
> Googling didn't help. The hw is a ATI Radeon Mobility U1, according to lspci.
> Things that I've found online were either completely effectless, or
> failed to execute, like
>
> atitvout ntsc
> - it said "Maybe this option is not supported by your graphics
> adapter?", but it said so with pal too
>
> xrandr --output S-video --set load_detection 1
> xrandr --output S-video --set tv_standard ntsc
> - for both it said "BadName (named font or color does not exist)"
>
> Any ideas? I can't believe that they had separate hw for pal and ntsc!

If you just need to display the video in a larger size and the laptop
has an external VGA connector, you could use a data projector. You can
bypass the TV stuff that way. Just be sure to set the VGA output's
timing and resolution to something the projector can handle,
e.g. 1024x768 @ 60Hz.

Otherwise, have you tried (for xrandr version 1.3)
    xrandr --verbose --prop
to see what resolutions and timings the X server thinks the
hardware supports?

Have you looked at the X server logs and xsession logs to see
what the video driver reports it is doing?