[lug] TV-out on a NTSC CRT TV

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 17:02:27 MST 2010

> Don't know if borrowing one from work would be possible or worthwhile....

Not possible. They are short on projectors already for work purposes,
lending them for personal uses is out of question.

> 1) Set the S-video output resolution for NTSC instead of PAL:
>       xrandr --output S-video --mode 640x480 --rate 60

I actually have already tried it, even with --rate 30 and it doesn't
help at all. I tried to guess some lower resolution modelines, without
serious success - at best, if I stopped the heavy flickering, I get
two images one above the other (vertically) probably missing some
pieces.
I suspect that playing with these modelines might be the solution, but
I've exhausted my guesses and didn't find a proper way to find the
right one.

> 2) turn off the LCD panel if possible using the Fn keys, or
>   try xrandr --output VGA-0 --off
VGA was already off and thus this had no effect. I turned off LVDS
too, and it had no effect on the tv (it did turn off the display on
the laptop).

> 3) adjust the TV sync/roll settings to get a stable picture.

The TV has not any sync/roll knob. It's CRT but I not that old - I
guess it tries to set them automatically (there isn't any setting on
its OSD menu either)

> If that doesn't work, try setting VGA-0 to 640x480 also.
Same as 2)

> Make sure
> to move desktop items in from the edges in the high res mode before
> you switch to low res, otherwise you might not be able to get to them.

Thanks for this suggestion too (although I already knew this myself)

If everybody has run out of ideas, I guess I'll give up on this project

Thanks a lot anyway and Happy New Year,
Davide