[lug] Celebrate Wikipedia's 10th anniversary: Jan 15 in Boulder

Neal McBurnett neal at bcn.boulder.co.us
Tue Jan 4 15:28:19 MST 2011

To Wikipedians in Colorado, and allied communities involved with
OpenStreetMap, Linux and other open source software, Ushahidi, etc:

Wikipedia is celebrating its 10th anniversary on Saturday, Jan 15
2011!  Wikipedia is much more than an encyclopedia; it's a volunteer
movement of hundreds of thousands of everyday people from all corners
of the world. We're committed to providing free knowledge to people
who need it.  We want your help!

 http://ten.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

A lot of effort is being put into this anniversary worldwide, so this
is an ideal opportunity to get the message out, expand the base of
contributors, and do our part hosting some fun local celebrations.

At least one local event is already set up, on Jan 15th, in Boulder
from 11:00 to 1:00:

 http://ten.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boulder,_Colorado

We'll be getting t-shirts and other give-aways from the Wikimedia
Foundation.  So come and share in the diversity and energy of the
Wikipedia community.  Be bold and "Edit this Event" to add your own
ideas for how we can celebrate.

Some ideas and stories are gathered here:

 http://ten.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_Communications_Kit

Contact Neal McBurnett <neal at mcburnett.org> if you want to help out.

Cheers,

Neal McBurnett                 http://neal.mcburnett.org/