[lug] Gluster question -- reframed

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Tue Jan 11 14:47:40 MST 2011

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Sean Reifschneider <jafo at tummy.com> wrote:

> Tahoe is a great project, but it aims towards different goals: primarily
> crypto.

Thanks for mentioning it! I'm a contributor to it. I've presented on
it at BLUG and at NCLUG.

Hopefully the addition of requirements about confidentiality,
integrity, and availability even under active attack doesn't mean we
do badly at other requirements such as... well, what *are* Vince's
other requirements?

>  Last I heard, it also didn't have a FUSE driver or similar, or it
> had 3 of them and they were all bad.

There is a supported one now! It is actually an SFTP server, but you
can use sshfs to talk to it and then you have a working FUSE
interface.

However, the performance may or may not be sufficient for any
particular use case, depending on the particular pattern of use.
Tahoe-LAFS is good at Write-Once-Read-Many for any size of file and at
mutating small files, but bad at mutating large files. Try it and see
how well it fits your use case. And tell me what you find! :-)

Regards,

Zooko