[lug] USB-to-Serial port assignment

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Jan 12 23:14:15 MST 2011

Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> Is there a way to force the assignments to remain the same?  If not,
> anyone have any clever ways of figuring out how to identify the target
> side of the USB/Serial connection short of running screen and testing
> them manually?

I agree with Kevin B about udev rules.  I think that will solve your problem.

Does it matter where the boards show up in /dev?  For example, you're wanting board A to do the same
job all the time and board B to do a different job.  But if they can be made and connected all the
same way then the host can just tell the target at ttyUSB0 to do job A regardless which board it is.

Probably doesn't help but it's a different way to think about the problem.

Dave