[lug] Paranoia and deletion: the wipe man page

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Sat Jan 15 11:29:30 MST 2011

Wouldn't that be a full-disk wipe?

Idle side thought - is there a daemon that periodically scans a disk and
overwrites the unallocated sectors?  I would be far more concerned about
them than the hardware keeping a secret copy of deleted files.

BTW years ago I read an article from somebody who managed to restore big
chunks of a file by searching the raw device for key strings.  That
would be a real pain with a 500 GB partition, vs. a 1 GB partition, but
there's no reason it can't be done.