[lug] Listening services and NAT on both ends

Landon Cox landon at 360vl.com
Tue Jan 18 09:32:53 MST 2011

LogMeIn Hamachi does this.   It's not OSS and has a light monthly service charge for commercial use and 100% free for non-commercial use.   It has easy to install clients which work well on Windows, Mac, and Linux:

https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi2/

I've used this for both the NAT<->NAT case as well as similar NAT<->cellular client...mainly used ssh machine-to-machine over it, but there was nothing special to do - should work with any protocol.  In the cellular case, the cell companies clearly don't want you to host any kind of service on a cell connected system, but for lots of applications, it's valid and critical to do so.  This solution gets around the problem of cell providers blocking inbound ports particularly.

Hamachi's probably the simplest, fastest to setup VPN solution I've seen out there.  Would be interested to hear others experiences with similar solutions,

Landon