[lug] AWS Installfest-in-the-Cloud -- VMBox install?

Dru Whitledge druw at oneimage.com
Wed Jan 19 19:10:38 MST 2011

Damn, I should have been paying better attention and I'd possibly
know if this "InstallFest" is limited only to Clouds (which I'm not a
fan of -- as they beat me up all that time in a previous life while
flying airplanes through them). If it ain't all "nubes" then I've
actually got bookoo questions on installation(s) and potential installations.
I won't, unfortunately, be available Saturday as I'll likely be
sliding across a frozen lake on my butt with ice-skates up in the
air. I guess I should put each potential question (quandary) into
separate emails and hope for some help on the list.

2) Getting well beyond the Woobi. My major obstacle in getting up the
Linux learning curve is that for most day to day stuff, practical
stuff, I do on my computers -- I boot to Windows. It takes a hell of
long time -- wastes a hell of a lot of time -- to boot back and forth
to Linux -- then to Windows -- then back to Linux -- so I tend to
stay in Windows -- where I can otherwise get everything done.  And of
course, I haven't yet learned how to pass data back and forth.

I'd really like to run parallel Linux and Windows OSs (and be able to
pass some limited data back and forth) -- but of course, Woobi won't
do that.  As I've discussed with a couple of folks in this group and
others -- the answer would seem to be a VMBox ability to toggle back
and forth between Windows and Linux and both systems simultaneously
and eventually (though slowly) migrate most functionality to Linux.
Unfortunately, a VMBox -- is I have enough horsepower to run one --
doesn't seem to be something many "non-IT pros" do. Is a simply way
to do this -- without a steep learning curve and a huge time
investment -- Linux is enough of a chore in itself.

Is there any reason that Ubuntu or Fedora or Ret Hat of any of the
major Linux distributors don't make that a standard install option.
Surely, I'm not alone (as a non-IT pro) in wanting an easy painless
migration path to Linux -- without going cold turkey on Windows
(assuming I can ever get off it entirely).

Dru
303 666-7665