[lug] AWS Installfest-in-the-Cloud -- VMBox install?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Jan 19 22:16:02 MST 2011

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 19:10:38 -0700
Dru Whitledge <druw at oneimage.com> wrote:

...snip...

> Is there any reason that Ubuntu or Fedora or Ret Hat of any of the
> major Linux distributors don't make that a standard install option.
> Surely, I'm not alone (as a non-IT pro) in wanting an easy painless
> migration path to Linux -- without going cold turkey on Windows
> (assuming I can ever get off it entirely).

Sure, you should be able to run a windows virtual machine on most any
modern hardware and linux distro. That sort of setup isn't going to be
good if you do heavy graphics use in windows (gaming), but otherwise
should work fine.

That said, it's likely a lot easier to use linux full time than you
think. You could always 'prep' yourself on windows by switching to free
software like openoffice, thunderbird and firefox. Then switch over to
linux and you should be right at home.

kevin