[lug] syncing deletes in backup (or picture workflows)

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Tue Feb 1 17:01:15 MST 2011

I like Bray's "ruthless" weeding.  I think this is essential.  Saving
TBs is easy, yes, but weeding them decades from now is gong to be PITA
for somebody, if not you.

Davide sez:
> But in some others, the thing is plain impossible.

I encourage you to take a more positive attitude.  :-)  Sit down, weed
them out, document tersely, and move on.

For example, this weekend I went through a bunch of B&W photos I had
lying around in neatly organized sleeves and binders which hadn't seen
the light of day in some cases in decades.  While it's exciting to
save these things for posterity, it might be nice to see them so I
went to McG's, asked them how to mount the pictures on foamcore, and
how to get the foamcore on the wall.  Picked out any of the reasonably
good photos.  Then mounted them on 6 x 20" x 30" foamcores and put
them on the wall.  I've been staring at them all week.  It's
fantastic.

I didn't pick out the best photos or organize them the best way or
even mount them straight.  It's all YAGNI.  The thing is to be able to
see the photos instead of keeping them in a box for another couple of
decades and then leaving them to my kids to sort through when I'm dead
(which I recently did with my mom's photos after her passing).

Rob