[lug] weird grub / x11 problem

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Feb 1 20:27:57 MST 2011

bgiles wrote:
> At this point I have no fracking idea what's going on, just that the
> system is unbootable.

I have a computer that grub2 can't boot.  At one point in troubleshooting Mr. Smarty-Pants wiped the
MBR.  He forgot that the partition table was there.  D'oh!

But there are recovery tools out there that were able to fix it.  No harm, no foul.

You may have to reinstall grub (put its bits in your MBR).  You may have to reconfigure it (probably
not, update-grub is pretty clear whether it's doing the right thing).  Hopefully all your partitions
are intact.

I don't know whether JFS makes it harder to do grub.  The wiki says it's supported so I'd guess not.
  But like I said, I have a machine that it can't boot.

Want to work on it Saturday?  I'll help if I can make it.

Dave